I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

vrijdag 12 juli 2013

Erwin Olaf, a extremely talented photographer from The Netherlands

Almost 2 years ago I contacted Erwin Olaf through e-mail asking him
If he was willing to pose for me on wet plate.
Unfortunately I never got an answer until 2 months ago.
He phoned me apologizing not responding earlier and he asked me if I still
wanted to make that portrait.
Willing?? He still was on top of my list!
We made an appointment and today we met him in his beautiful studio in Amsterdam.
 As always, Ferry vd Vliet helped me during the shoot.
He also made "the making of" pictures
For those who don’t know Erwin Olaf, just have a look at his website. http://www.erwinolaf.com/
He’s by far the most creative Dutch photographer whose work is admired
by many collectors and museum. An extremely creative centipede.

Beside all of this he’s still a very accessible friendly person
who’s very proud of what he has achieved.
He showed me a new series he’s been working on.
The prints were made with the carbon printing process.
I can tell you, I have never ever seen such beautiful B&W prints in my entire life.
I really admire his works. Just fantastic.
Because of his extremely busy schedule we only had a few hours for this shoot.
Knowing the wet plate process you might understand that there was very
little time
for experimenting with light, pose and exposure
So I choose for a close up portrait. Especially because of his light blue eyes.
Erwin, again, thank you so much for you time and being so cooperative!
 
 
26x26cm black glass ambrotype
Hermagis 350 mm 4.5 petzval
Exposure time 5 seconds
 




 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten